Muhammad Ali Beats Alfredo Evangelista This Day May 16, 1977 and retains the Heavyweight crown
Funny Press Conference
- Muhammad Ali 221¼ lbs
- Alfredo Evangelista 209¼ lbs
- UD in round 15 of 15
- Location: Capitol Center, Landover, Maryland, USA
- Referee: Harry Cecchini 71-65
- Judge: Terry Moore 72-64
- Judge: Ray Klingmeyer 72-64
- Unofficial AP scorecard: 69-66 Ali
- Unofficial UPI scorecard: 73-62 Ali
- World Boxing Council Heavyweight Title (9th defense by Ali)
- World Boxing Association Heavyweight Title (9th defense by Ali)
Ali’s purse was $2.7 million, and Evangelista received $85,000.
Evangelista entered the fight ranked eighth by the WBA and 10th by the WBC.
There was a crowd of about 12,000.
The fight was televised live by ABC.
“Evangelista can’t be no better than these two black brothers you saw. Can’t be no better! Did you see me overweight and not conditioned and didn’t have no real trouble? Still moving, my legs are there, my reflexes. I’ll lose the weight. I got time. But if you think these two bad brothers can’t get to me, what do you think some Evangelista is gonna do? He can’t be as good as these boys, and I’m going to be in shape then.” – Ali after boxing exhibitions with Michael Dokes and Jody Ballard a month before the Evangelista fight
“I’m 35-years-old and I danced fifteen rounds. It’s a miracle.” – Ali after the fight