Bobby Chacon Beats Cornelius Boza-Edwards This Day May 15, 1983
- Cornelius Boza-Edwards 129¾ lbs
- Bobby Chacon 129¾ lbs by UD in round 12 of 12
- Location: Caesars Palace, Sports Pavilion, Las Vegas, Nevada, USA
- Referee: Richard Steele
- Judge: Duane Ford 113-115
- Judge: Lou Tabat 112-115
- Judge: Dave Moretti 111-117
Boza-Edwards was down in the 1st and 2nd round.
Chacon overcame a 3rd round knockdown and bad cuts over both eyes to floor Boza-Edwards in the 12th.
Steele halted the action in both the 7th and 8th rounds to have Chacon’s cuts checked by ringside physician, Dr. Flip Holmansky.
Fight was named Ring Magazine Fight of the Year.
Although Chacon was the reigning WBC Junior Lightweight champion and Boza-Edwards the WBC’s number 1 contender, this bout was not sanctioned by the WBC as Chacon had supposedly signed a contract with Don King to fight Hector Camacho first. Chacon would be stripped of the title June 27, 1983 for failing to defend against Camacho.