THE FIGHT – Diego Corrales KOs Jose Castillo This Day May 7, 2005
- Diego Corrales 135 lbs
- Jose Luis Castillo 135 lbs
- TKO at 2:06 in round 10 of 12
- Location: Mandalay Bay Resort & Casino, Las Vegas, Nevada, USA
- Referee: Tony Weeks
- Judge: Daniel Van de Wiele 86-85
- Judge: Lou Moret 87-84
- Judge: Paul Smith 84-87
- World Boxing Council Lightweight Title (3rd defending of Castillo)
- World Boxing Organization Lightweight Title (1st defending of Corrales)
- Ring Magazine Lightweight Title
- — 2005 Boxing Writers Association of America Fight of the Year —
- — 2005 Ring Magazine Fight of the Year —
The entire bout was fought in close, producing facial damages. Castillo was cut in the left eye brow in round five. By round seven Corrales showed bad puffs under each eye. After his second knockdown, he bled below the right eye. Castillo ended with a puff under the right eye.
Corrales was knocked down twice in round 10th.
Corrales spit his mouthpiece out after each knockdown, causing controversy because of the extra recovery time he received as his corner rinsed out the mouthpiece.
Corrales had a point deducted after the second infraction.
As Castillo moved in to finish off Corrales, the always-dangerous Corrales landed a huge left hook that staggered Castillo.
Corrales quickly followed up with a flurry of hard punches causing referee Tony Weeks to stop the fight.
Both fighters took a tremendous amount of punishment in what is already widely considered a boxing classic.