Floyd Mayweather Stops Jesus Chavez This Day November 10, 2001
- Floyd Mayweather Jr 129½ lbs
- Jesus Chavez 129½ lbs
- RTD at 3:00 in round 9 of 12
- Location: Bill Graham Civic Auditorium, San Francisco, California, USA
- Referee: Jon Schorle
- Judge: Lou Filippo 89-82
- Judge: Marty Sammon 88-83
- Judge: Tom Kaczmarek 87-84
- World Boxing Council Super Featherweight Title (8th defense by Mayweather)
Mayweather earned $1.6 million.
Chavez was the No. 1 WBC super featherweight contender.
Chavez’s trainer, Ronnie Shields, stopped the fight after the ninth round. Shields told his fighter: “You’re getting hit too much now.”
HBO’s unofficial judge Harold Lederman had Mayweather ahead 86-85 at the time of the stoppage.
Mayweather landed 197 of 456 punches (43%) and Chavez landed 182 of 925 (20%).