Miguel Cotto Stops Oktay Urkal And Retains Crown This Day March 3, 2007
- Miguel Cotto 147 lbs
- Oktay Urkal 146 lbs
- TKO at 1:01 in round 11 of 12
- Location: Coliseo Roberto Clemente, San Juan, Puerto Rico
- Referee: Luis Pabon
- Judge: Guy Jutras 97-92
- Judge: Gustavo Estrella 100-89
- Judge: Nelson Vazquez 98-91
- Judges scoring after round 4: (40-36), (40-36), (40-36) – all for Cotto
- Judges scoring after round 8: (77-74), (78-73), (80-71) – all for Cotto
- World Boxing Association Welterweight Title (1st defense of Cotto)
This was a mandatory defense of the WBA title.
Cotto suffered a cut over the left eye by an accidental headbutt in round five.
Urkal was deducted a point for headbutts in round seven and in round eleven, which caused Urkal’s trainer Ulli Wegner to throw the towel.
After the fight, Wegner claimed he stopped the bout due to what he saw as unfair refereeing by Luis Pabón.
It was the final fight of Urkal’s professional career.