Hasim Rahman KOs Lennox Lewis This Day April 22, 2001
- Lennox Lewis 253½ lbs
- Hasim Rahman 238 lbs
- KO at 2:32 in round 5 of 12
- Location: Carnival City, Brakpan, Gauteng, South Africa
- Referee: Daniel Van de Wiele
- Judge: Dave Parris 39-37
- Judge: Valerie Dorsett 39-37
- Judge: Thabo Spampool 39-37
- World Boxing Council Heavyweight Title (10th defense by Lewis)
- International Boxing Federation Heavyweight Title (4th defense by Lewis)
The fight was billed as “Thunder in Africa.”
Brakpan, Gauteng, South Africa, is 5,200 feet above sea level. Rahman arrived on March 27 so he would have time to adjust to the high altitude, but Lewis didn’t arrive until April 10. Lewis trained in Las Vegas, Nevada, which is 2,000 feet above sea level. He trained in Las Vegas so he could also film scenes for a cameo appearance in the movie Ocean’s 11. After Lewis was knocked out by Rahman, HBO commentator Larry Merchant said, “He just drowned in Ocean’s 11.”
Lewis was a 20-1 favorite.
Lewis weighed 253½ pounds at the official weigh-in. At the time, it was the heaviest he had ever weighed for a fight.
The fight was named Upset of the Year and Knockout of the Year by The Ring