Sugar Ray Robinson KOs Randy Turpin This Day September 12, 1951 and regains the crown
- Ray Robinson 157½ lbs
- Randolph Turpin 159 lbs
- TKO at 2:52 in round 10 of 15
- Polo Grounds, New York, New York, USA
- Referee: Ruby Goldstein 4-4
- Judge: Joe Agnello 5-4
- Judge: Harold Barnes 5-3
- Unofficial AP scorecard: 4-4
- Unofficial UP scorecard: 4-3
- World Middleweight Championship (1st defense by Turpin)
A crowd of 61,370 produced a gate of $767,630.
Movie rights were $200,000 and theater television rights were $25,000.
Robinson’s share was 30% (approximately $230,000) and Turpin’s share was 25% (approximately $210,000).
Robinson opened as a 12-5 betting favorite. The odds were 2-1 the day before the fight.
Turpin won rounds eight and nine on all three scorecards and opened a bad gash over Robinson’s left eye in the tenth.
Robinson dropped Turpin with a right to the jaw in the tenth. After getting up at the count of nine, Turpin was battered along the ropes until the referee stopped the fight.