Michael Spinks Beats Larry Holmes This Day April 19, 1986
Spinks Defends the heavyweight crown
- Larry Holmes 223 lbs
- Michael Spinks 205 lbs
- SD in round 15 of 15
- Location: Las Vegas Hilton, Hilton Center, Las Vegas, Nevada, USA
- Referee: Mills Lane
- Judge: Joe Cortez 144-141
- Judge: Frank Brunette 141-144
- Judge: Jerry Roth 142-144
- Unofficial AP scorecard: 143-142 Holmes
- Unofficial UPI scorecard: 143-142 Spinks
- Unofficial HBO Judge Harold Lederman: 144-141 Holmes
- International Boxing Federation Heavyweight Title (1st defense by Spinks)
The fight was billed as “Vindication in Vegas.”
Holmes was a 7½ to 5 betting favorite.
Spinks’ purse was $2 million and Holmes’ was $1.125 million.
Tickets were priced at $500, $300, $200, $100 and $50.
There was a crowd of 8,328.
The fight was televised live on HBO.
“The last time, I worked on becoming a heavyweight,” Spinks before the fight. “For this fight, I started as a heavyweight and just worked on improving what beat Larry the last time.”
Shortly before the fight, Holmes said the judges “must have been drunk” when they scored his first fight with Spinks.
As ring announcer Chuck Hull read off the scorecards after the fight, Holmes turned to his trainer, Richie Giachetti, and moaned, “Oh, no, I’ve got a big mouth.”
After the fight, Holmes said: “The judges, referees and promoters can kiss me where the sun don’t shine—and because we’re on HBO, that’s my big black behind.”
Spinks landed 296 of 680 punches (43%) while Holmes connected on 293 of 724 (40%).
Spinks Earns Split-Decision By Wearing Down Holmes