James Toney No Decision vs John Ruiz This Day April 30, 2005
- James Toney 233 lbs
- John Ruiz 241 lbs
- ND in round 12 of 12
- Location: Madison Square Garden, New York, New York, USA
- Referee: Steve Smoger
- Judge: Don Ackerman 116-111
- Judge: Guy Jutras 116-111
- Judge: Tom Schreck 115-112
- World Boxing Association Heavyweight Title (3rd defense of Ruiz)
- International Boxing Association Heavyweight Title (1st defense of Toney)
John Ruiz vs. James Toney (poster).jpg
Ruiz was down in 7th round.
This fight was originally a unanimous decision win for James Toney.
Ruiz announced a short lived retirement after the bout, which didn’t last ten days.
Following this bout James Toney tested positive for a banned substance and the decision was changed to a “No Decision” by the New York State Athletic Commission on Wednesday May 11th.
On May 17, 2005, Ruiz regains recognition as WBA Heavyweight Champion