Kostya Tszyu KOs Miguel Angel Gonzalez This Day August 21, 1999 – Wins Vacant Title
- Kostya Tszyu 139½ lbs
- Miguel Angel Gonzalez 139½ lbs
- TKO at 0:48 in round 10 of 12
- Miccosukee Indian Gaming Resort, Miami, Florida
- Referee: Frank Santore Jr
- Judge: John Keane 90-79
- Judge: Don O’Neill 89-81
- Judge: Chuck Williams 89-80
- World Boxing Council Light Welterweight Title (Vacant title)
Gonzalez’s trainer climbs up on the ring apron to force the stoppage.
Tszyu had already won the WBC light welterweight interim title on November 28, 1998 against Diosbelys Hurtado. Though the full version of the title was vacant at the time of that fight, it was for the interim belt only as the #1 contender in the WBC, Miguel Angel Gonzalez, was not included in the contest.